Jumat, 07 November 2008

The Corpse Flower Shrinking


Have you seen corpse flower (Amorphophallus Titanum) before? This flower claimed to be the biggest flower in the world. It's still under one family with the famous Rafflesia. Both flowers were originated from Bengkulu, Sumatera. The flower of this plant appears once in a year. It takes quite long time (maybe about 1 month) for the flower to really blossom and then die. The unique is that after it blossom in the next day it immediately shrink again. Few days after shrinking the whole plant will die. The plant smell very terrible when it's died. That's why Indonesian people call it corpse flower.

When I visited Mekarsari, Jakarta, to see
corpse flower, I was expecting it to be on its blossom time. But I was unlucky that it just blossom 2 days earlier. That's why I can only show you the picture of corpse flower that had been shrunk. Hope I can get a better picture next year to share with you.

3 komentar:

Unknown mengatakan...

I've never had the chance to see such flower, except on documentaries, but it must be great to be close to this fantastic plant when blooming!

Anak Dokan mengatakan...

JM: I missed the chance to see it blooming. I hope next time I wont miss it again.

Anonim mengatakan...

bungkai bangkai ya. pengalaman yang menarik, nggak perlu nyari ke hutan ya :)